How to find out if you are due a tax refund?

The first question is when did you last send a tax return in to the Tax Office? Have your circumstances changed in any way since then e.g. got married, had a child, bought a house, incurred a lot of medical expenses, moved into rented accommodation, started a college course in the evenings, joined a personal pension scheme, changed jobs etc, etc.

If any of these matters apply then you may be due a refund. The next task is to carry out a quick review of your personal tax position for the last four tax years. You cannot make claims for any earlier tax years.

The following is a simple checklist to start your review. If following this review you believe you may be due a refund you should then sign up for our website and our tax calculator will tell you if you are due a refund. Our systems will generate your completed tax form and you can send this to your local tax office or engage us to do it all for you.

  1. Always examine your Tax Credit Certificate to see what credits the tax office have granted you. At a minimum you should be allowed your Personal Tax Credit and the PAYE Tax Credit.
  2. Check if you are entitled to any of the following credits:
  • Home carers tax credit
  • Service charges tax credit up to 2011 only
  • Trade union subscriptions up to 2010 only
  • Flat rate expense allowance
  • Rent relief for rented accommodation provided renting in Dec 2010
  • Age tax credit for age 65 and over
  • Incapacitated child credit
  • Single parent credit

These tax credits are the most commonly overlooked claims.

In addition to these there are other specific tax claims which can be made for certain expenses as follows:

  • Medical expenses
  • Payments to pension schemes
  • Third level tuition fees
  • Fees for training courses
  • Permanent health insurance payments
  • Dental insurance payments from 2004 onwards
  • Long term care insurance policies

Generally speaking most unclaimed tax credits arise for married couples and relate to expenses incurred for themselves and their families. However both single people and married couples should always check to see if they are entitled to tax relief for local authority service charges, trade union subs, rent allowance and flat rate PAYE expenses allowance